Thursday, December 13, 2018

Worship - December 13, 2018


C:\Users\dylan\Desktop\Lessons and Carols Old Trinity.jpg
Photo by Dylan Mello
    The advent season has always held a special place for me when it comes to worship.  The ability to have reflection time and expectation has really grabbed a hold on me as each annual Advent season approaches.  Every year, I love waiting to hear and sing the specific hymns of Advent. The anticipation we experience each week in our services as we await the joy of Christmas brings me a sense of awe and wonder.  
    The main highlight of my worshipping experience is the Advent Lessons and Carols. No matter what church I’ve been in, each special service fills me with a feeling that is hard to describe.  A building filled with fellow worshippers exploring the meaning of the season is quite a sensation. Personally, this worship experience allows me to let go, listen to themes, the words, and attempt to find the message in front of us. A particular anthem, “Veni Domine”, stands out to me at this time of year.  The translated words are such, “Come, Lord, and do not delay. Visit us with your peace so that we can rejoice in your presence with hearts made pure. Come, Lord, and as a mother consoles her children, so shall you comfort us, and we shall see you and our hearts will rejoice.” I can’t help but see the imagery of these lines and how this captures many of the feelings of Advent.  I can see Mary holding the newborn Jesus, comforting his hunger, fears, and cries. And so, we turn in the same way to Jesus. We wait for the celebration of his birth to remember how we share and experience this love.
    Advent is a busy season for worshipping.  There is much time spent looking ahead to the planning of Christmas and all that entails.  I think it is important to slow down and recognize the importance of this waiting. We are waiting to rejoice in the celebration of Jesus and the peace and love that he brings.  We can remember why we have four Sundays of the season, why we light the candles each week, and how refocusing our efforts can bring us back to a place of solace.
Post by Dylan Mello

No comments:

Post a Comment