Friday, December 21, 2018

Pray - December 21, 2018

Prayer
Image result for BLACK WOMEN PRAYING ON THE FLOOR
Copyright majivecka

Look.
It’s happening again.

My heart begins to race.
Each beat becomes louder than the first.

It’s a feeling of fear.
They say that fear is not of God (1 John 14), but today the fear comes from my heart.
And, I am afraid.

I am uncertain of when my heart will fail, and I cannot guarantee that the flames of my soul (Matthew 6:22-23) will withstand the rising tides.
Will you come to my aid (Isaiah 35:40)?  And if You come, will I let You in?

It is happening again. My heart is racing. The tears begin to flow, warming my face and making their way to the floor.

I’m so afraid.
Afraid, that others may see my tears and afraid of having to retell and reimage the memory of what has led me here.

My heart beats further intensify, and finally, I like my tears I fall to the floor: First, on my knees as my face pressed against the floor. Some call it an act of veneration or of prostration but my momma nini calls it an act of total praise in honor to the One who loves and knows my name (Isaiah 43:1). My name is Shancia Ralna Jarrett and His Name is Jesus Christ. Emmanuel, I pour out my all to you.

The season of Advent celebrates and remembers the arrival of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Some commemorate Advent by reflecting on the wisdom and the blessings of God’s peace, hope, joy, and love, as displayed through the Life of Christ. It may sound foolish or peculiar to know that the God Himself or God in flesh had to descend from heaven and teach us how to love: how to love God and one another. Yet, it was necessary, because we may be our worst enemies. Many people throughout the world are victims of inhumane brutalities and acts of hatred such as violence, anti-Semitism, racism, homophobia, and extreme cases of poverty. These are human actions which lead to sin and the destruction of the body and soul. In times of fear, some people can only call on the Almighty name of Jesus Christ in the midst of fear and suffering.


I have discovered that Perfect Love is about acknowledging, believing, and acting in the Good News of Christ. One of the ways in which I do so is through prayer.

No matter what happens I pray. I invite you to spend even a minute in prayer, a honest reflection or reciting the collect for the Fourth Sunday of Advent: “Purify our conscience, Almighty God, by your daily visitation, that your Son Jesus Christ, at his coming, may find in us a mansion prepared for himself; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.” BCP.

Post by Shancia Jarrett

No comments:

Post a Comment