Sunday, December 16, 2018

Rest - December 16, 2018

/Users/tarashepley/Desktop/IMG_5263.jpg
Kathy Brown, 1982


“God hugs you.
You are encircled by the arms
of the mystery of God. “
-Hildegard of Bingen

When I first joined the Episcopal Church in 1993, I was in the early phases of my adult relationship with our Living and Loving God, and so much of that relationship was new. Every Sunday night the church offered a healing prayer service and I often attended. Many times, the people who prayed for me had this overwhelming sense of how much God loved me, but I couldn’t receive it. They were nice words and thoughts, but the experience of God’s love did not penetrate my heart, although I wanted it to. One night, the prayer team felt compelled to give me a copy of this picture to keep for myself and to meditate on the image of being encircled by the arms of Jesus.

What I love about this picture, is the calm, restful expression of the lamb. That lamb looks as if it knows deep in itself that all is well. It is safe and there is nothing to worry about, because Jesus the Good shepherd is here. I know that face. I know that feeling. This is the feeling that I had as a child when I was being held in the comforting arms of my dad. My dad had big puffy hands and strong arms that padded life with love and protection. When I was encircled in my dad’s embrace, I did not have a care in the world, because I knew that I was unconditionally loved, not theoretically, not poetically, but every bit of me- body, mind, and soul was enveloped in and by love. Is this what abiding means?

Eventually, over the last twenty-five years, the love of God has seeped into the little openings of my heart, and sometimes it has burst forth like a surging waterfall, that utterly overwhelms me, heals me, and often moves me to tears, laughter, and silent awe. I love Jesus, and there is no greater rest than to surrender all my cares and worries to Jesus- to allow myself to simply rest, knowing that Jesus is providing for my every need because of his love on the cross. This Advent, I invite us to lean into Jesus’ arms. He is friend, brother, lover of our souls, our constant companion, the fullest expression of the Father, savior and redeemer of the world. God desires each one us personally, and has gone to great lengths to secure an intimate and personal relationship with each one of us through his Son and his Spirit. This Advent, I invite us to imagine what rest and surrender might look like as we are encircled in God’s love.

Post by Tara Shepley

No comments:

Post a Comment