Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Time between Times


December 1, 2015
Reflection by Phil Bjornberg

Recently I was paired with an elder clergyperson during a contemplative exercise at the annual Convention of the Episcopal Church in Connecticut.  We sat ear to ear and took turns listening deeply to each other as we answered three questions designed to get at the heart of what brings meaning to our understanding of who we are.

I asked my new stranger friend, “Who inspires you?” and listened to him share memories from his childhood that revealed an intimate relationship with his grandfather.  When asked, “What
brings you fully alive?” he responded, “my grandchildren.”

I suddenly began to weep as I pictured this white haired man beside me, sandwiched between generations long past and the generations that will be. Within that moment, I saw my life and the lives of the other one hundred and fifty or so diverse pairings in the room, and the lives of all the human beings who had ever been and those who would ever be, precisely, inseparably, and eternally immersed in living water between all that had been and all that will be.  I am – I AM –and We ARE within the alpha and omega.

Advent is a season of preparation and anticipation, a forward looking hope arising from the revelation from the present future looking back – Christ Has died, Christ Is risen, Christ Will Come again.  Christ is ever-present as the incarnate one embodied in the resurrected creation, inseparable from all that was and is and is to be.

Take a moment to reflect, imagine, picture and receive the mystery which had been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people.  To those who would believe, “God has chosen to make known the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory (Col. 1:27).”

No comments:

Post a Comment