Monday, December 14, 2015

A Time for Rest


December 14, 2015
Reflection by Tuesday Rupp

 
“The human being was born restless, but truly in the remembrance of God do hearts find rest.” ­Jamal Rahman, paraphrasing the Qu’ran

“Restless is the heart until it comes to rest in you.” ­ St. Augustine, Confessions

Here in the northern hemisphere, the light dims a bit more each day until the the winter solstice on the 21st of December. I have noticed that my habit and desire in December is to want to follow that light, to go to bed earlier, to read more, drink more tea, to turn over poems in my mind, and let my quiet introvert have her time. In short, I am craving more rest.

At the same time, I feel unsettled. Staying connected to current events ­ to say nothing of a mounting list of holiday tasks ­ means accepting anxiety about the future, as well as frustration in the present. How can I allow myself to rest when I have so much to do, and when so many are suffering?

It is so important to take good care of ourselves ­ the same selves which God has made and
loves ­ in order to do what we are called to do. Rest is necessary for the optimal functioning of body, mind, and I believe spirit. Allowing myself time to rest reduces my anxiety and helps me see the things that I can do and do effectively. Time to rest allows me the space to remember that I am fearfully, wonderfully made, and to connect deeply with the one who made me. That connection with Holy Wonder is life­giving and restorative.

As the light decreases, allow yourself a little more time to rest. Rest in the awareness of God’s astounding love. Even five minutes of rest can change the whole course of your day. This beautiful song by Bernadette Farrell, combining the texts from Augustine and Psalm 90, could help.


No comments:

Post a Comment